Monday, September 27, 2010

Camping at Vallecito lake

 While they were here visiting we decided to go camping for 3 days. We had a lot of fun but prior to camping we have not had rain for months and the three days that we decided to camp it rained and rained and rained some more.  So we had to get  a little creative in the tents.
 This is a little hike we did on our last day of camping. It was really pretty.

We did some canoing
We ate icecream

We played games of baseball


We looked for lots and lots of bugs

So this is our tent.  Not a good time to find out that we need a new tent. We had to improvise a little for all of the rain we got.  Mind you this tent is almost 9 years old, it was leaking pretty good.

This is our beatiful sight before it started raining


We did some fishing and swimming

This is basically what our sight looked like the rest of the time.  I call it space camp. We had to buy a really big tarp to go over the top and then we used space blankets for the sides and puuled each of our vans on the sides to block the rain from coming in.


 Also not to leave out the first night we were there, we had a little visitor in our campground at about 1 in the morning. Jeff was no there that night, so I was in my tent alone with the kids and Becky was in her tent alone with her kids, and I awoke to a loud bang in the garbage can. Which  by the way was really close to our sight. Then i started to hear some growling, man that Bear was mad. I was SOOOOO freaked out, i could hardley move, I don't think my heart has ever beated so hard.  I was praying and prayin that the bear would not come over to our tent, but after the garbage can, I heard him come over to our campground and he started playing with our chairs we left out under the canopy. Lets just say that was a little to close for my comfort. To hear him growling feet away form our tent without jeff there was more bear than I need to hear.  Needless to say he wandered down the road, but it took me at least 2 hours to fall back asleep. The funny part was that Becky didn't even hear a thing. Good thing though because I have never been so scared. All in all it was a very fun trip even though it rained the whole time.


4 comments:

Ashley Rae said...

I love camping... we haven't gone nearly enough, lately. Glad you guys could go and have fun. But holy crap- the bear would scare me so bad! I am not sure what I would do. *shudder*

Holly said...

I would have been freaked out too, glad everything worked out ok.

So quick question, I noticed that you have a border around all the pictures that include a caption with some of them. How did you get the blog to do that? Is it a feature of the background you are using? I would like to do that with the photos that I post of the Cottle blog.

Mills Family said...

That looks like so much fun! I would love to go on a camping trip. :) I miss you guys.

Kristin said...

I'm not sure how I missed this post from last month, but I just found it. What a great time you guys seemed to have in the rain! Nice improvisation on the accommodations! You will certainly remember this trip. :)