Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hike Up Mount Torrey




Jamie's Mom (Ma Bones) came into town the other week-end, giving me the opportunity to climb another 14er (for those of you from Utah that don't know what that is, it's a mountain over 14,000 feet, which the state of Utah doesn't have because all your mountains are tiny). So I headed out at 5am to do a solo up Mount Torrey's East Ridge (Kelso Ridge). I hit some rain storms on the drive to the trail head, but by the time I started hiking the rain had stopped, clouds started lifting, and I was excited to see snow on the top of the peak.


This is me starting up Kelso Ridge. It's a two hour scrable to the top once you get to the ridge. Lots of pulling your self up rock faces and a few spots where you have to cross knife edge ridges with cliffs on both sides.


Me at the top. It was very windy and cold. This was my first time trying out my new Salomon coat. It's thin and light, but does great in wind, rain and cold. Mount Grays in the back ground, anouther 14er.


A view of Kelso Ridge that I climbed. I hiked down the south side of the mountain where the normal hiking trail up the mountain follows.


These steps, on the way down, reminded me of the Lord of the Rings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jeff!! Bryan is a little jealous of you hiking the 14ers. He would love to do some with you!

Kristel said...

find Justin a job so he can hike with you...you have 3 years so get on it!

Ben and Krystal said...

Very cool Jeff, not a bad way to spend time. Although any activities that require less clothes rather then bundling up seem to jive better with me! But hiking is a blast, I can't believe you went solo. Didn't scouting teach you anything about the buddy system?

Misti Lee said...

That looks like an awesome climb. You need to get to Glacier next summer.